Start Your Course – Don’t Wait
As you probably already know, there are many different ways to go about setting up your Campus courses. Here’s a quick guide to get you started quickly, efficiently and most importantly working properly!
This is our suggested way to add your courses, fell free to modify/alter/edit to best suit your personal needs.
PART 1: Get Familiar with the LearnDash Admin Panel
3 Tips before getting started:
- Tip 1: Make sure you have a documented roadmap of your course – before you start.
By this, I mean the number of lessons, topics, quizzes and their positioning in the course.
- Tip 2: I strongly recommend setting up the architecture of the course before adding content.
- Tip 3: Make your titles intuitive and organized to make your road-map easier.
Step 1: Double Check Your Campus LearnDash Settings
- Confirm the LearnDash plugin is installed and activated like any regular WordPress plugin. You should see additional WordPress Menus for items like Courses, Lessons etc.
- Make sure you have your correct PayPal email address setup to take payments. Navigate to COURSES > OPTIONS FOR COURSES and enter your PayPal email address as well as any currency and country information if not default US.
Step 2: Creating a Basic Course
- Add a new course. Navigate to COURSES > ADD NEW.
- Enter the title and publish.
Step 3: Add Lessons to the Course
- [Do this step only once] Set the order. Navigate to LESSONS > OPTIONS FOR LESSONS and Sort by “Menu Order”, Sort Direction “Ascending”. Update.
- Add the lessons. Navigate to LESSONS > ADD NEW.
- Associate the lesson to the course. When editing the lesson, make sure to select the course to which it should be associated by selecting the course name in the COURSE ASSOCIATION box on the right hand-side.
- Just below, you will see an ATTRIBUTE box with an Order option. This is for ordering your lessons. The first lesson should have 1, the second 2, and so on until all your lessons are numbered. This will make ordering them very easy.
- Repeat step B through D until all your lessons for that one course are created and associated with that course.
Step 4: Add Lesson Topics
- Add the topics. Navigate to LESSONS > LESSON TOPICS > ADD NEW.
- Just like you did for the lessons, associate the Topic to the correct course on the Course Association box on the right hand-side.
- Just below, you will see an ATTRIBUTE box with an Order option. This is for ordering your topics (just like you did for lessons). The first topic should have 1, the second 2, and so on. This will order your topics under each individual lesson.
- Scroll down, and select the lesson to which it should be associated under the Associated Lesson drop-down.
Congratulations, you have set-up the ARCHITECTURE of your course!
To see the initial result of your work, navigate to COURSES and View the course you just created. You should see all the lessons listed. Click the Expand All button, and you’ll see all your topics. Next up, the quizzes!
PART 2: Getting Creative on Content and Quizzes
Step 1: Creating A Quiz Template
- Navigate to ADVANCED QUIZ.
- Click the Add Quiz button. This will be the general settings for that quiz.
- Read carefully through each option deciding whether or not it is something you want.
- Save, then click the Back to Overview button.
Step 2: Adding Questions to your Quiz
- Hover over your newly created quiz title, and select the Questions option appearing below, then click the Add Question button.
- Read through the different options, and select the ones that fit your needs. Save, go back to Overview and repeat until all your questions are created.
Repeat Step 1 and 2 until all your quizzes are created.
Step 3: Link the Quizzes to the Course by creating “Quiz Skins”
- Navigate to QUIZZES > ADD NEW.
- Quick Tip: For organizational ease, I recommend you match your quiz title to that of the Advanced Quiz you created earlier. This will make it easier later on to associate the two and troubleshoot should you ever need to.
- Once the title and body is filled out, select the course to which the quiz should be tied under Course Association on the right-hand side.
- Scroll down and select the appropriate Advanced Quiz to be associated.
- If your quiz is a lesson OR topic quiz, select the appropriate lesson or topic from the drop-down. Click Publish.
- If your quiz is a final quiz, do not associate it to a lesson or topic. Click Publish.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: When publishing, you may see a notice saying that it did not save. If so, verify that the advanced quiz is still associated. If it is, you can navigate away safely. We are in the process of addressing this issue.
Step 4: Content and Options
- Add a price OR a join button to your course.
Navigate to COURSES > Edit your course. Scroll down, and EITHER select the join button (if courses are free) OR add a price if the course is paid (in the form of 1.00).Other fields are optional.
There are many other optional features – feel free to navigate around and discover them at your own pace. This was a simple overview to get you started.
Thanks to Kloe from LearnDash for this quick start guide